Sunday, February 19, 2012

Terrain Layer Cake Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt Top










I'm working on my piecing techniques...you know, sewing a straight line over and over!  It is mind boggling that I can stitch 9 pre-cut squares, all the exact same size and get wonky seams! I did a little (more) research on this and I'm going to start doing something different...stitching in opposite directions for each row. I did that last night on another project and I see it DOES make a difference! I'm also being double sure that the top edges are flush (not just the bottom edge and side edge) when I start stitching.

HOW TO:
-stitch nine patches together to make a "nine patch"
-slice the nine patch in half vertically and horizontally
-now you have 4 blocks which you can arrange anyway you want

I arranged the blocks in a large square and attached white sashing and border. I'm SO glad for the Moda Bella Solids white Jelly Roll so I don't have to cut strips. I can't decide if I'm just going to sell the unfinished quilt top or finish it myself.

Finishing options:
-I have a yard of Terrain Dahlia Mist FLANNEL to use for backing
-quilting with batting?
-just finish with flannel or minky or chenille for a blanket instead of quilt

Hmmmmm. I sold my wonky patchwork unfinished quilt top on Etsy (photo is here:
http://digitalmichelle.blogspot.com/2012/02/more-sewing-quilting-and-crochet.html ) which is encouraging...I like the piecing but don't really care so much for the construction...then again I did put my darning foot on and I LIKE free motion quilting-A LOT. More on that later.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful, Michelle! I absolutely loooove quilts and was gifted with many from my grandmas. Yay on selling your quilt!!
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...